Why Avaaz Doesn’t Support 21st Century Fox’s Purchase of Sky

Why Avaaz Doesn’t Support 21st Century Fox’s Purchase of Sky

Rupert Murdoch is the owner and founder of 21st Century Fox, one of the world’s most wide-ranging, easily-recognized telecommunications groups. Despite Murdoch owning a great deal of television media stations in the United States and United Kingdom, the media mogul has been eyeing the purchase of Sky, a pay-per-channel television network.

Civic-minded organization Avaaz has publicly declared distaste for Fox’s and Murdoch’s efforts. Rupert Murdoch currently owns a 31% stake in Sky, and is slated to purchase the remaining 69% if everything turns in his favor. Avaaz believes the telecom mogul shouldn’t be allowed ownership of the television network, as doing so would place too much control in one person’ total ownership, potentially providing for heavily biased media and their Linkedin.

Ofcom, the United Kingdom’s regulatory agency, initially declared the deal acceptable. However, Avaaz asserts that ruling is inherently defective, urging the organization to rethink the 14.94 billion dollar transaction and more information click here.

Such transactions must be fit and proper in United Kingdom law, meaning no party would own significant enough market shares to even rival the size of a monopoly. Karen Bradley, a culture secretary, is expected to dig into the merger for six months, although for other reasons than Avaaz and learn more about Avaaz.

Avaaz also believes that Bradley should consult the Competition and Markets Authority to peer into 21st Century Fox’s operative standards.

Avaaz, which roughly translates to voice or song in Persian, was created in 2007 as a group effort between communication agency Res Publica and several individuals, including Tom Perriello, Ricken Patel, and David Madden. This civic-minded organization has currently enlisted more than 44 million members in 194 countries, purveying good-heartedness and the empowerment of people, not overarching governments, around the world. The current executive director of the group is Ricken Patel, a Harvard graduate school graduate who is also known for founding MoveOn.org. Patel is also the president of Avaaz’s board of directors.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *